A pleasant 45-minute drive from Cape Town, Wellington is best known for its wine, brandy, table grapes and deciduous fruit, but it is also steeped in history and tradition and appreciated for its beautiful Cape Dutch architecture.
Wellington was formally established in 1840. It was variously known as Limiet Valley (Frontier Valley), Wagenmakersvallei (Valley of the Wagon Maker) and, towards the end of the 17th Century “Val du Charron” or Valley of the Cartwright. The French name was given to Wellington by the French Huguenots, who settled in and around the town in large numbers.
The Old Tannery was established outside Wellington in 1871. Almost 150 years later, the property is being restored, with a view to it playing a central role in the burgeoning tourist economy of Wellington.